Spring 2019 saw the publication of ambitious and important new Statutory Guidance for local government overview and scrutiny. This two- day course has been tailored to support local councils in
Spring 2019 saw the publication of ambitious and important new Statutory Guidance for local government overview and scrutiny. This two- day course has been tailored to support local councils in implementing the new guidance and improving scrutiny functions. It will provide essential advice on benchmarking council arrangements against the Guidance; detailing the components of the Guidance; explaining how to develop a supportive organisational culture; and drawing out the full range of implications and opportunities for councils, councillors and officers.
The Guidance sets an ambitious vision of an effective scrutiny system working within an organisational culture which supports scrutiny and values its work. Almost two decades on from the creation of overview and scrutiny, now is a great time to reflect on how well scrutiny is working and ensuring positive steps are in place to match the Guidance’s vision.
· Key messages from the Statutory Guidance and analysis of its content
· Horizon scan of what councils are doing with the Guidance including practical examples
· A benchmarking tool – how to use the Guidance to benchmark your own council’s scrutiny function – and to draw up an improvement plan
· Scrutiny’s Role in the Governance system. The Guidance underlines the importance of seeing scrutiny’s role ‘in the round’, understanding its place in wider governance arrangements
· Practical steps in Developing a Supportive Organisational Culture which is a central theme of the Guidance
· The Cabinet/Executive relationship with Overview & Scrutiny, including the use of protocols to support the relationship
· Member and Officer roles in implementing the Guidance
Who Should Attend
· Scrutiny chairs
· Scrutiny vice chairs
· Chairs of scrutiny task and finish groups
· The course is tailored for members however the course is also open to scrutiny officers who wish to accompany their member/s
Who are the Facilitators?
Mark Palmer and Dr. Stephanie Snape have worked extensively on overview and scrutiny arrangements since their inception almost twenty years ago. They have advised national, regional and local councils on scrutiny and have worked with more than 150 councils in supporting successful scrutiny.
Please ensure you have read the cancellation policy before booking your place as failure to inform us of non-attendance will be chargeable.
South East Employersevents@seemp.co.uk South East Employers Guildhall, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 9GH