Term Time Only Review
As part of the 2016-18 pay deal, the NJC agreed to conduct a joint review of term-time working to consider â€œan NJC approach to deliver fair, consistent and transparent contracts for school support staff and term-time only staff not employed in schoolsâ€
A further update was issued in September 2018 indicating that due to the complexities of the issues guidance would not be available before the end of the year.
â€œThe review is ongoing. The NJC working group met earlier this week and will be meeting again in mid-November. However, given the complexity of the issues being discussed, it will not be possible to finalise any guidance certainly before the end of the yearâ€
In November 2018 the LGA published guidance on calculating the annual leave entitlement for term time only workers in response to the out of court settlement reached between the London Borough of Greenwich and Unison. This guidance is contained within Advisory Bulletin 664 and you will need to be logged in to the LGA website to access this information.
In January 2019 the Review Group announced that there had been a delay in getting the first set of guidance approved for circulation. It is hoped that new part 4.12 guidance covering the following will be available in Spring 2019.:
- Guiding principles on calculation of pay and annual leave (including advisory model calculation)
- Calculation of redundancy pay
- Termination of employment or contractual change part way through leave year
- Payment for overtime and additional working hours
- School closure periods (including public holidays, special leave, public duties)
- Training and Career Development
- Participation in trade union activities and duties
In February 2019, the LGA published the new Part 4.12 guidance on Term Time Only Working. The new section can be found with the Green Book Pay and Conditions Document. It is intended in due course to issue further Part 4 guidance relating to sickness and maternity, maternity support, adoption, parental and shared parental leave and pay for term-time only employees.