Learning and Development
Coaching and mentoring
SEE has partnered with a new associate, Sue Noble, to offer a suite of coaching and mentoring programmes. Sue has a huge breadth and depth of knowledge in the public sector, and many years of experience of training coaches and mentors.
We’re offering three courses, which you can take individually or put together for a comprehensive programme.
Developing an internal pool of coaches
Have you ever thought about embedding a coaching culture within your organisation?
What would this mean in practice and how can your organisation benefit from this?
Coaching is fast becoming recognised as one of the most important communication skills to help support and develop internal talent and expertise. Coaching is often used to help organisations through a change process and to help those who see change as a threat to seeing change as a reward. Coaching can raise awareness of self and awareness of others and can ultimately improve motivation, engagement and decision-making.
The first stage to embedding a coaching culture is to develop and train a team of willing, enthusiastic and dedicated people who would make themselves available to act as credible, skilled coaches around the business. This would require taking these people through a rigorous and intensive qualification training programme to develop a range of coaching and other deeper level communication skills. The structured and rigorous qualification is designed to ensure that coaching standards, ethics and best practice are learned and understood. The programme includes a number of self managed and tutor managed support and training sessions and once qualified these Internal Coaches will have the confidence, credibility and capability to coach others within the organisation in a whole range of situations, problems and specific goals.
By the end of this Level 5 qualification programme learners will know, learn and experience:
- What coaching and mentoring is and is not
- The purpose of coaching within an organisational context
- The roles and responsibilities of an Internal Coach
- Core coaching competencies including, listening, questioning, rapport, values and belief systems
- Coaching Ethics and Boundaries
- Contracting, confidentiality and setting the scene for successful workplace coaching
- Coaching structure and goal setting
- Giving feedback during coaching – how, why, when
- Learning styles and personality types to support the coach and client
- Coaching in difficult situations
- Coaching practice to build confidence and competence
- Chemistry and Synergy meetings to build rapport and understanding
- Starting, finishing and structuring your coaching sessions
We highly recommend the Chartered Management Institute CMI as an awarding body for its flexible approach in providing qualifications which are quality assured and rigorous.
Developing an internal pool of mentors
Do you have experienced and positive Role Model Managers and Leaders within your organisation?
Would these people be willing to give up some of their time to develop others for the benefit of the organisation?
Role Model Mentors place a vital role in providing guidance and experience to someone else who is aiming to advance their career within the organisation and improve their personal development and engagement. In a world of recruitment freezes and government cutbacks the need for succession planning and seeking out internal potential and talent is even more essential today. Mentoring in the workplace supports transition, change and transformation.
This is a two-day course aims to raise awareness and understanding of what mentoring is and how to get the most from your mentoring sessions and how to encourage your mentee to take responsibility for their own learning.
By the end of this two day course learners will know, learn and experience:
- The difference between mentoring, coaching and training
- What mentoring is and the benefits to everyone involved
- What your role is as an internal mentor and the likely expectations your mentee will have
- How to mentor successful through the use of questioning and listening skills
- When to use your knowledge and experience and when to explore more with questions
- How to structure your mentoring sessions to ensure the right outcome
- How to mentoring at least one other person
This 2-day course can be either Accredited through CMI or delivered as a non-accredited course. We recommend a half-day tutorial for organisation wishing to have this accredited through CMI to support learners with the completion of their assignment.
Manager as coach and mentor
An endorsed programme aimed at developing coaching and mentoring management styles
The aim of this 3-day accredited course is to demonstrate the value that coaching and mentoring skills can bring to any conversation and to equip managers with the skills and confidence to use coaching and mentoring styles in everyday situations and to specifically improve performance and motivation at work.
The course is broken down into 2 modules over a period of 4 – 5 months to allow practical application to take place in the workplace each training day. The first two days are run concurrently with day 3 building upon the learning gained during day 1 and 2. Further models and techniques will be introduced to build confidence in coaching and managing.
Who should attend?
All managers of people who conduct regular 121’s, Performance Reviews, Appraisals and have or would like to develop regular conversations with their team
By the end of this 3 day programme you will:
- Understand the difference between coaching, mentoring and other leadership styles and approaches
- Know the core coaching skills which contribute to confident communication
- Apply and practice these skills using practical and real working situations
- Know how and when to apply these skills in a practical way back in the workplace
- Develop awareness of self and others
- Learn practical tools, techniques and strategies to manage difficult conversations
- Know how to build trusting and sustainable working relationships
If you would like to know more, including full programme details and costs, please get in touch.